[OS X TeX] graphics in beamer

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 23 23:11:41 CEST 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 1:25 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:

> I need some very elementary advice on including a jpg file in a beamer document.
>
> I am preparing a set of slides using beamer for a talk next week.  My initial version was compiled (via the standard stuff in TeXShop) in pdflatex (I think--whatever is the default engine) but then the pstricks figures all crashed the program.  So I did what I had forgotten to do, when I am creating a paper to print, say via document style article, namely use the "program" macro to insert the line
>> % !TEX TS-program = latex
> which takes care of my pstricks problem.  But now I have trouble with an early command
>> \begin{figure}
>> \includegraphics[height=3cm]{alseda1.JPG}
>> \includegraphics[height=3cm]{Nitecki_Groisman2Montserrat-18.jpg}
>> \end{figure}
> which gave me no trouble in pdflatex.  I realize that the problem is not specifying bounding boxes--whatever that means--but am fairly ignorant about graphicx, so am not sure how to put in a specification.  Can anyone give me some quick-and-dirty advice on how to do this with minimal pain?

With latex+dvips mode, graphics must be eps. One solution is to wrap your jpg files as eps. I find the most efficient way to do this is sam2p---Google it, though you need to compile it with gcc, or I can post a zipped compiled version.

With pdflatex mode, you can't use pstricks directly, and after loading beamer, you should insert in your preamble

\usepackage{etex}
\usepackage{auto-pst-pdf}

in order to process the pstricks pictures. This does not always work as expected, and if you have only a few pstricks illustrations, process each pstricks picture separately as a pdf, crop it with pdfcrop and use \includegraphics.

Michael