[OS X TeX] Icons for .tex files became generic doc type

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Sep 7 21:37:28 CEST 2014

> On Sep 7, 2014, at 12:32 , Herb Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> If you double-click a .tex file does open in TeXShop? If so I wonder how the OS is keeping track of that.

Launch Services keeps track of it. Think of it as the com.adobe.pdf UTI; any application that handles PDF can open that, not just Adobe applications. Remember, the UTI is just an abstract representation of a file type.

The -dump option on lsregister will show you this more clearly (also described in my mactex_uti.pdf document).

Adam