[OS X TeX] Personal dictionaris in CocoAspell

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 4 13:09:57 CEST 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 12:07 AM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:

>> You can add more items to the list of commands understood by CocoAspell although I don't understand why \emph isn't recognized. Open System Preferences->Spelling->Filters->TeX/LaTeX to see the list of special commands. To add a command to the list click on the + and go to the bottom of the list to see a command called unknown. Double click the unknown and enter, e.g., emph (note: without \, the backslash). Then click on the braces on the right side to activate the argument setup. A set of [] or {} symbolize an optional or regular argument that shouldn't be spell checked while [√] or {√} are optional or regular arguments that should be spell checked. In the case of emph the regular argument should be spell checked. To enter a √ you press Opt-V (note: if that doesn't work let me know) so you should have {√} on the right hand side.
>
> I tried the above with `tikzpicture’. I ended up with the entry
>
> tikzpicture {√}
>
> quit TeXShop and then reopened it. On entering
>
> \begin{tikzpicture}
> \end{tikzpicture}
>
> the red underlining appeared! Although
>
> System Preferences -> Spelling -> Filters -> TeX/LaTeX
>
> shows a large number of entries, e.g., «geometry {}» almost all have no checkmarks √ included which makes sense. At least I understand now why \parbox is governed by
>
> parbox[][][]{}{√}
>
> After some experimentation with TeXShop’s «Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar» it is easy to  add weird strings like «tikz» to Aspell's vocabulary. However, it is not clear if it is worth the bother.

Howdy,

Adding tikzpicture to the list of commands (that's what that filter list is all about) means it won't mark \tikzpicture and has nothing to do with the tikzpicture environment name.

However, the list of Filters for TeX/LaTeX should have begin{}[] and \end{} and should therefore skip over the arguments of the \begin and \end commands. So I don't know why that isn't happening on your system unless begin{}[] and end{} aren't on your list of Filters.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)