[OS X TeX] Just Curious...

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Thu Oct 30 20:02:20 CET 2014

I am running OS10.6.8 on a 2009 15" powerbook.  I have not updated because I have some PPC programs (like appleworks and the Adobe CS-2) that I still use.  Plus I do scientific programming and am unhappy that Mac does not make it easy to use current Unix programs for licensing reasons.

However, I think it is time for a new computer and probably update to yosemite.  My computer is falling apart: one memory slot does not work, I cannot write DVDs (although I can write CDs), the fi;rewire connection no longer works.  An update in OS seems necessary because Apple is not providing security fixes for things like the bash problem, and my v5 safari cannot be updated and Web sites complain that it is not modern.  (I have been quite critical of MS for linking Explorer to an OS, now I find Apple is doing the same thing.)

One concern I have about yosemite is that I understand that Apple data mines computers.  I just got my first smart phone (android), and I am concerned that the battery drains so fast with very little usage.  I a told there are "app killers" for phones.  If I am correct about yosemite, can one set up some kind of a firewall to protect against Apple?

Arthur Snoke
snoke at vt.edu