[OS X TeX] Just Curious...

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 30 19:21:53 CET 2014

I’m running Yosemite on the first Core2Duo MBP, one of the oldest machines that can run Yosemite. I’ve had no speed issues. Everything seems to run as fast as it did before. I’ve had no problems with Mail. Since I use a very dark grey desktop and the Graphite appearance option, the new dark menu bar option looks great. I like the appearance changes to Safari. Aperture may be running even faster than it did. The only problem I’ve had is font rendering in Skim, which I’ve written a lot about in the past week, but for which I finally found a fairly painless workaround. I’m stuck with 4GB of RAM maximum, and I’ve been noticing that test reports show that the latest dual-core processors significantly outperform my old Core2Duo, even the ones running at slower speeds, so I’m thinking that I’m due for an upgrade, especially since typeset time on my latest LaTeX file has creeped up to about 8 seconds and it’s getting a little annoying.

Richard Séguin