[OS X TeX] Time penalty when using kpsewhich on mac os x?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Oct 11 19:58:26 CEST 2014

> On Oct 11, 2014, at 10:31 , jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Thus, I wonder if the 1/2 second for kpsewhich only to
> return the value of TEXMFLOCAL is observed on other Mac OS X
> MacTeX installations, or if there is some misconfiguration
> on my personal machine, like environment variables which could
> induce kpsewhich to a non-necessary scanning
> of repertories

On a 2007 MacBook Pro with a hard disk, running
TL 2013 on Mac OS X 10.9.5, I get

$ time kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

real	0m1.401s
user	0m0.926s
sys	0m0.038s

On a new MacBook Pro with an SSD, running
TL 2013 on Mac OS X Yosemite beta, I get

$ time kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

real	0m0.571s
user	0m0.552s
sys	0m0.010s

So…I'd be happy with your 0.5 second value.

Adam