[OS X TeX] Fusion drives and typeset speed

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 05:34:05 CET 2014

I’m looking at the Mac minis* and I’m wondering if fusion drives make a significant difference in terms of TeX typesetting speed. Does anyone know? The non-fusion drive is 5400 rpm, and the hard drive part of the fusion drive is also 5400 rpm. I don’t know if all those TeX files wind up on the 128 GB SSD part of the fusion drives. I would probably load one up with 16GB of RAM which in itself makes a big difference with some applications, but I’m not sure about TeX. (The other important app is Aperture, but that’s a question for another group …)

*I’m also thinking of the new Dell U2415 monitors which very positive reviews.

Richard Séguin