[OS X TeX] universal-darwin bin dir

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 25 00:12:00 CET 2014

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 3:30 PM, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have MacTeX 2014 on Mac OS X Mavericks (latest)
>
> I observed today that /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin
> contains both of
>
> universal-darwin
>
> and
>
> x86_64-darwin
>
> this is on a MBA, hence x86_64, thus the latter is the
> directory /usr/texbin points to.
>
> universal-darwin weighs 176M and I feel very much like doing
> rm -fr on it.
>
> Is there any reason I should not?
>
> Jean-Francois

Howdy,

Don't do that! When you update the distribution (either using tlmgr directly or TeX Live Utility) the database used by tlmgr contains information about what binaries are to be updated. I believe there is a way to have tlmgr update it's database and remove the universal-darwin architecture. Try

man tlmgr

for more information. I DON'T recommend removing it so don't blame me if you run into trouble for some unknown reason.

Even then I'd think saving 177M out of >4GB total is not something that is worth doing. If you really want to save space remove TeX Live 2014 and install BasicTeX and add packages that you really need.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)