[OS X TeX] the /usr directory

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Tue Nov 4 17:13:07 CET 2014

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> And the Yosemite installer doesn't preserve /usr/local no less that /usr. XQuartz installs two symbolic links in /usr/local which are removed by the Yosemite installer.

No, actually the installer preserves /usr/local.  XQuartz installs the symbolic links in /usr, not in /usr/local:

mac131:~> ls -l /usr
total 16
lrwxr-xr-x     1 root  wheel      8 Oct 17 11:42 X11 -> /opt/X11
lrwxr-xr-x     1 root  wheel      8 Oct 17 11:42 X11R6 -> /opt/X11

These, as expected, get blown up by the installer. Mavericks’  one did the same thing if I’m not mistaken.  And the changes in /etc/ are moved aside, but preserved.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *    http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu