[OS X TeX] problems after getting new iMac

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 3 15:50:40 CET 2014

> On Nov 3, 2014, at 8:41 AM, Art Werschulz <agw at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I recently got a new iMac.  I ran the Migration Assistant to bring over stuff from my old iMac.  I was a little surprised that (say) pdflatex wasn't in /usr/local/bin, but no big problem---I simply added /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-darwin to my PATH.  But upon running pdflatex (either from the command line or from within Aquamacs/AUCTeX), I get a message saying that the format file pdflatex.fmt wasn't found.  But
> 	agw at home:~$ find /usr/local/texlive/2014 -name pdflatex.fmt
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt
> and so it's there.
>
> What chnages must I make for TeX to start running again?
>
> FTR, I'm running Yosemite.
>
> Art Werschulz
> agw at comcast.net

Howdy,

What OS are you running? Did you try to install FixMacTeX2014.pkg (found in /Applications/TeX)? That will fix up /usr/texbin. Migration Assistant doesn't seem to like symbolic links so strange stuff happens.

Finally, if that doesn't work let us see the results of

ls -alF /usr

and

ls -alF /usr/local

so we can begin to analyze what is going on. (Sometimes symbolic links are converted into copies of what they point to and that messes things up.)

Once we get things straightened out please remove the addition to the PATH.

Finally, it's not supposed to be in /usr/local/bin but in /usr/texbin, a symbolic link to the binaries.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)