[OS X TeX] Odd artefacts in TeXShop Preview after compiling

William Slough wslough at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 23:33:58 CET 2014

This happens to me too, with some regularity --- but with no
predictability.  For me, it happens with my previewer of choice, Skim.
I am currently on Mavericks (10.9.5) and I see this with both a MBP
and a slightly older iMac, both of which have non-Retina displays.
This never happened to me prior to moving to Mavericks, in over six
years of use.

Circumstantial evidence points to Mavericks as the source of this
problem.  Someone else on this list suggested that I upgrade to
Yosemite, but that is not an option for me at this point in time,
since I am in an academic environment and we cannot turn on a dime for
technology updates.  Fortunately, this is a mild annoyance, as
scrolling the PDF up or down or zooming in/out appears to make the
artifacts disappear.

Your attached image is very similar to the ones I see:  it seems to
affect just one line and that line has a number of small dots mixed in
with the text.

Bill Slough
Charleston, IL