[OS X TeX] Intrinsic tensors

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat May 31 15:38:01 CEST 2014

On May 31, 2014, at 2:27 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> Alain's query raises a point I think is very important. Those of us
> now in our advanced years were educated when it was not always easy
> to disseminate work which was incomplete or excursive, however
> original. Documents, sometimes handwritten, sometimes typed in
> pseudo-math mode,  survive in some cases in the form of "lecture
> notes" that are highly valued by experts, copied  only to their
> students, and therefore at risk of being lost to future generations
> of mathematicians outside the mainstream. I think those of our
> generation should do what they can to preserve those lecture notes
> by publishing them as pdf web documents with added commentaries and
> links to  later relevant work so that mathematical history may
> benefit from our soon-to-be extinct knowledge. In most cases, this
> will require a scan of the original plus annotations.

And therein lies the difficulty. I once tried to scan my very first
book---from the time we thought "small presses" were a godsend which
they were but short-lived---and thought I would die of boredom. It was
a bit the same as with running on a treadmill and I gave up the one as
I had the other.

Best regards
--schremmer