[OS X TeX] Intrinsic tensors

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri May 30 03:44:38 CEST 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 6:48 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On May 29, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> I would like a symbol to represent n-dimensional objects, in fact
>> tensor fields of order n, something like<G^n.pdf>.
>>
>> I have looked around to no avail; worse comes to worst, I can
>> always use the above pdf but I am curious.
>>
>> Faintly hopeful regards
>> --schremmer
>
> It wasn't clear to me which part of this symbol is the issue,

The whole thing of course but most particularly the little circle.

> but here's a way to generate some approximation to your symbol

> using standard packages rather than Apple Chancery and Helvetica-Neue.

> \documentclass[11pt]{amsart}
> %SetFonts
> \usepackage{newtxtext} % loads helvetica as sans
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \usepackage{newtxmath}
> %SetFonts
> \begin{document}
> $\overline{\mathcal{G}}^{\mkern-1mu\raisebox{-.1ex}
> {\hbox{\textcircled{\textit{\textsf{n}}}}}}$
> \end{document}

The "approximation" is perfectly fine (of course).

And compare with my clunk: I assembled the characters in Intaglio, and
used the pdf with

\newcommand{\BigGpowern}{\raisebox{-0.16em}
{\includegraphics[scale=0.90]{BigGpowern}}} .

But here is the real question: How did you know it was Apple Chancery
and Helvetica-Neue?

Very grateful regards
--schremmer