[OS X TeX] New Pretest Versions

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 26 19:23:35 CEST 2014

On May 26, 2014, at 12:07 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed mactex-20140524.pkg on a mid-2011 iMac running OS X 10.9.3, where mactex-2013 was already installed.
>
> Three questions:
>
> (1) Should TeX Live Utility still be Version 1.17, dated Oct 29, 2013? That's all I find.

Howdy,

TLU 1.17 is the still the up to date version.

To update you need to use one of the pretest repositories listed at <http://www.tug.org/texlive/mirmon/>. Click on a repository reasonably close to you to open that repository and then copy the address. Open TLU and the Configure->Manage Repositories; press the + and paste the repository address there. Then make that your Home repository (you change it again when MacTeX 2014 is released) by clicking the Use As Home button.

> (3) Should the version of TeXShop.app be 3.36.1 still?

TeXShop 3.36.1 is the up to date version.

> Issue, related to (2) above:
>
> I tried TeXing a book and am getting some "Font not found" fatal errors that I don't get if I change back to TeX Live 2013. I presume the cause is that updmap hasn't been run yet by TeX Live Utility, since I couldn't do anything with it given the repository mismatch.
>
> What should I do as a work-around until such time as I can get a legitimate TeX Live 2014 repository URL and update, which causes updmap to be run automatically?
>
> Note that my local texmf tree is ~/Library/texmf.  Hence I don't want to mess things up by entering the wrong command (updmap vs. updmap-sys) as the wrong user (me vs. su) at the command line in order to update what TeX knows about my local fonts.

Where do you have your fonts; in your personal tree (starting at ~/Library/texmf) or the texmf-local tree (starting at /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local)?

Did you ever create an updmap.cfg file and place it in the proper place? If not, please download and read `TeXLive2012+Changes.pdf.zip' from <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10932738/index.html> and ask about any problems you encounter. If you already did that simply run

updmap

IFF the fonts are in your personal tree or

sudo -H updmap-sys

IFF the fonts are in the texmf-local tree.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)