[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon May 5 04:01:27 CEST 2014

Folks,

This is a general message slightly related to:

On May 4, 2014, at 2:45 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since 2.47 is final, why at all carry it? Those who, like me, are is still on PPC have probably already upgraded to 2.47 and thus don't need it. Any one new to TeX AND still on PPC can just be directed to the TeXShop site. There can't be many.
>
> Puzzled regards
> --schremmer

Originally we were going to drop PowerPC support in MacTeX-2014. Then as a test
I compiled TeX Live 2014 without any problems on PowerPC. We don't compile
luajittex or asymptote there.

So it is easy to support PowerPC and the main advantage is that users with
that processor can use tlmgr to update their systems, whereas if they are stuck
with TeX Live 2013 then all updates are manual.

I haven't investigated how many of our GUI apps support PowerPC. TeXShop 2.47
does, but its main purpose is to support Intel Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Dick Koch