[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 5 01:28:16 CEST 2014

On May 4, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Claus Gerhardt <claus.gerhardt at uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> I assume that those who still work with 10.5 would also be happy to use MacTeX 2013 in the future instead of the latest version - at least I would, since the benefit they might gain seems to be negligible, if there is any.
>
> Claus

Howdy,

There was a lot of discussion before support for OS X 10.4 was dropped in MacTeX (and MacTeXtras). Once the decision was made a final version of MacTeX/TeX Live for that year was saved so that they would have a distribution to download and use.

Most often a decision like that occurs because none of the developers can compile the binaries for that version of the OS. One of these days that will happen for OS X 10.5 and we won't have a choice.

I know that there are folks on this list still using OS X 10.5 either because they are still using PPC systems (Apple Computers seem to last a very long time) or can't update to 10.6 or later for one reason or another.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)