[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 4 21:22:07 CEST 2014

On May 4, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 15:45, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> TeXStudio is an up and coming front end originally based on TeXmaker. There have been some comments on the list from users of this application. It will run under OS X 10.6 and later and it's dmg file is ~44MB in size. Is it worth adding this to MacTeXtras?
>>
>> There presently are four versions of TeXmaker supplied in MacTeXtras: an older version, 1.9.9, for OS X 10.5 (PPC) and three copies of the latest version for OS X 10.5 (Intel), OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.7 and later. Should the (PPC) or both the (PPC) and (Intel) versions for OS X 10.5 be removed to add space for either or both of TeXworks and TeXStudio? The (PPC) version is about ~17MB in size while the (Intel) version is ~43MB. Links to the web site for obtaining these would remain but this would also violate the fullest support for OS X 10.5.
>
> Others have made the case for retaining 10.5 support, although I wonder
> if this is covered by TeXShop (presumably still in the core of MacTeX).
> I do wonder about versions here: from what you say, 10.5 users are not
> getting the latest version of Texmaker.
>
> As you say, TeXstudio is originally a fork of Texmaker, though the two
> have diverged somewhat. Assuming Texmaker is needed for the PPC/10.5
> support, is adding TeXstudio as well sensible?
> --
> Joseph Wright

Howdy,

The TeXmaker folks stopped making a PPC compatible version after version 1.9.9 came out. They continue to make the latest version as a 32bit Intel version for 10.5, a 64bit Intel version for 10.6 and a 64bit Intel version for 10.7 and later. I really don't like the idea of carrying four versions in MacTeXtras but, at this time, we do want to support 10.5 as best we can.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)