[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 3 03:19:55 CEST 2014

On May 2, 2014, at 7:48 PM, Ralph Martin <Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk> wrote:

> Can I suggest that MacTeX Extras be done differently?
>
> Once you have the programs you want from it, it does not make sense to download it again - all you want to do is keep the programs you are interested in up-to-date. On the other hand, if something is added to it, you may wish to now.
>
> I'd suggest a much better way for MacTeX Extras to be done is as a list of links to where software can be obtained, with a short description of what each one is and why relevant to TeXing. Users can then click on those links as desired to fetch the actual files.
>
> That way, nobody downloads stuff they don't need.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ralph

Howdy,

For individuals that would work fine. As a matter of fact there is a document the Extras folder of MacTeXtras that has links for all of the software.

The main reason to gather it all together in one place is that it would certainly be handy for many institutions that distribute software to their students, etc. It is all in one place. The fact that I update it during the year isn't really important since many of the pieces of software can tell you if there is an update. I do the ``continuous'' update since it's easier for me to do that than wait till the end of the year and do it all at once.

PS: you can get the document with the links by clicking on the last word in the Extras part of <http://www.tug.org/mactex/mactextras.html>. That does get updated during the year.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)