[OS X TeX] Contents of MacTeXtras

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 2 16:45:09 CEST 2014

Howdy,

MacTeXtras contains many applications that front-end the TeX Live distribution installed by the MacTeX install package. It supports OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and later although not all supplied applications support some of the older systems. MacTeXtras.zip is presently ~590MB in size so it's a sizable download and we have to be careful about adding/deleting applications supplied there.

TeXworks will no longer be installed by MacTeX-2014 to attempt to save space in that package. Note that at this time MacTeXtras doesn't include TeXworks, which has a few major missing features (e.g., it can't Print the pdf or source files) as of the present version 0.4.5 (r.1280). I need votes for/against adding TeXworks to MacTeX. The .dmg file is about 20MB in size. I assume this will run Under OS X 10.6 and later but it may be 10.7 and later.

TeXStudio is an up and coming front end originally based on TeXmaker. There have been some comments on the list from users of this application. It will run under OS X 10.6 and later and it's dmg file is ~44MB in size. Is it worth adding this to MacTeXtras?

There presently are four versions of TeXmaker supplied in MacTeXtras: an older version, 1.9.9, for OS X 10.5 (PPC) and three copies of the latest version for OS X 10.5 (Intel), OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.7 and later. Should the (PPC) or both the (PPC) and (Intel) versions for OS X 10.5 be removed to add space for either or both of TeXworks and TeXStudio? The (PPC) version is about ~17MB in size while the (Intel) version is ~43MB. Links to the web site for obtaining these would remain but this would also violate the fullest support for OS X 10.5.

I really need and appreciate input to help make the decision.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)