[OS X TeX] Unpacking macros

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Tue Mar 25 11:13:44 CET 2014

I have a simple question, but will outline the context because I may be asking the wrong question.

I have a paper provisionally accepted by a prominent journal, which has been creating massive headaches at the technical, production end.  The paper is written in latex, using the amsart document class;  it is nine pages long.  I tend to use a lot of macros, not only for convenience in typing but also to insure uniformity of notation (and ease of changing a given notation) so I call a number of self-written style files.  The paper compiles fine on my machine (using TeXShop, with program=latex, perhaps an unnecessary choice prompted by my frequent use of pstricks--which do not however appear in this particular text) when I don't use the journal's style file.  When I do, certain strange things happen, like no author listing.  But it still produces a reasonable version of the main text.  The journal's technical staff went to work on the paper, and after weeks of work produced a version in which (for example) the author name does appear, but now all kinds of notation generated by my macros is rendered in garbled form.  I so not have access to their modified source file.  The editor of the journal is at his wits' end on this, as am I.  His final email to me asks that I submit the paper in article style with no author-written style files.  So I want to cull the various macros I have actually used in this paper and put them directly into the preamble of my source file.

I do recall that there is a command which causes output to display the macros that have been used in generating a paper, but can't remember what it is.  That is my simple question.  A more subtle (and probably hopeless) version asks if there is a way to automatically "unpack" the definitions of these macros so that the macros themselves are no longer needed.  I know this is the opposite of progress, but doing something like this (automatically or "by hand") seems to be the only way to resolve the technical issues which so far threaten to prevent publication.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155