[OS X TeX] Personal dictionaris in CocoAspell

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Tue Mar 25 09:37:47 CET 2014

On 24 Mar 2014, at 11:10, Josep Maria Font <jmfont at ub.edu> wrote:

> I am considering CocoAspell, which I see praised by Richard as the definitive solution. After googling a bit I am worried that the last entry in its web site <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net> is from 12/2009.

This is how I did install cocoAspell on mavericks with the latest aspell and dictionaries; it works great!
First of all, I hate the fact that the standard cocoAspell installer installs binary and library files without control or any possibility of update in my /usr/lib directory.
So, I install aspell and all the needed dictionaries from MacPorts (see <http://www.macports.org> and <http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=aspell>, with a list of all dictionaries available). In this way I can maintain a clean, separate, and updatable installed version of aspell in /opt/local.
Then I install the cocoAspell preference panel without aspell and without the dictionaries (via the “customise” option of the standard cocoAspell installer), and I create few symbolic links via terminal as follows:
> sudo -s
> mkdir -p "/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell”
> mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
> mkdir -p /usr/local/lib
> cd "/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell"
> ln -s /opt/local/share/aspell .
> cd /usr/local/bin
> ln -s /opt/local/bin/aspell .
> cd /usr/local/lib