[OS X TeX] How install Sharpe's font trees?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 9 19:01:18 CET 2014

On Mar 9, 2014, at 12:26 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to install some of Michael Sharpe's additional fonts and font-support trees, e.g., garamondx, available at http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html.  This is for use with TeXLive 2013 (and later!).
>
> As always on my single-user Mac, for granular back-up purposes, want to install such additional font trees in ~/Library/texmf.
>
> Sharpe's instructions refer to two methods for installing there:
>
>   (i) if you checked Update for All Users in TeXLive utility
>
>      cp -Rfp * ~/Library/texmf
>
>   then
>
>      updmap --enable Map=zgm.map
>
>   (ii) otherwise
>
>      cp -Rfp * ~/Library/texmf
>
>   then
>
>      sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=zgm.map
>
> But the current TeXLive 2013 utility automatically runs updmap after it installs or updates any packages from the TeXLive repository. And I don't see any such "Update for All Users" preference in the TeXLive Utility. The preferences I do have selected are:
>
>  + Automatically enable fonts in my home directory.
>  + Add new packages to match the server when updating.  [irrelevant here]
>  + Remove packages to match the server when updating.   [irrelevant here]
>
> So which situation, (i) or (ii), am I in?
>
> Or should I merely manually edit ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg to add the appropriate Map statements (e.g., Map zgm.map) and then run the TeXLive 2013 Utility app?
>

> ---
> Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

If you place fonts in your personal tree (starting at ~/Library/texmf) you should: i)update ~/Library/web2c/updmap.cfg by adding the appropriate line; ii)check `Automatically enable fonts in my home directory in TeX Live Utility's Preferences; and iii)simply run

updmap

in Terminal.

You do (i) so that the proper map file is added every time `updmap' is run---even if/when you install MacTeX-2014/TeX Live 2014 when it comes out. Then (ii) is done so that TeX Live Utility (TLU) runs `updmap' to include any global font changes whenever the tlmgr (run by TLU) update runs `updmap-sys'. Finally, (iii) will include the new map file initially---if you have updated updmap.cfg as in (i).

Let me explain.

1)While pdflatex can read multiple map files, old programs, like dvips, can only read a single map file.

2)Since dvips can only read a single map file and your personal fonts are being stored in your personal tree the map file created including your personal fonts must ALSO include the map files for the fonts in the TeX Live distribution too. Therefore, if anything changes in the distribution's fonts and `updmap-sys` (which will NOT access your personal tree) is run there must also be a run of `updmap` to include those changes in the map file that does include you personal fonts. TLU will automatically do that `updmap` run when you check off that preference.

3)The best solution would be to change dvips so that it could include more than one map file---one that only includes the fonts in your personal tree as well and, separately, the TeX Live fonts map file. From everything I heard dvips is NOT going to change so the best fix will not happen.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)