[OS X TeX] How install Sharpe's font trees?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 18:26:42 CET 2014

I want to install some of Michael Sharpe's additional fonts and font-support trees, e.g., garamondx, available at http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html.  This is for use with TeXLive 2013 (and later!).

As always on my single-user Mac, for granular back-up purposes, want to install such additional font trees in ~/Library/texmf.

Sharpe's instructions refer to two methods for installing there:

   (i) if you checked Update for All Users in TeXLive utility

      cp -Rfp * ~/Library/texmf

   then

      updmap --enable Map=zgm.map

   (ii) otherwise

      cp -Rfp * ~/Library/texmf

   then

      sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=zgm.map

But the current TeXLive 2013 utility automatically runs updmap after it installs or updates any packages from the TeXLive repository. And I don't see any such "Update for All Users" preference in the TeXLive Utility. The preferences I do have selected are:

  + Automatically enable fonts in my home directory.
  + Add new packages to match the server when updating.  [irrelevant here]
  + Remove packages to match the server when updating.   [irrelevant here]

So which situation, (i) or (ii), am I in?

Or should I merely manually edit ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg to add the appropriate Map statements (e.g., Map zgm.map) and then run the TeXLive 2013 Utility app?

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334