[OS X TeX] Macro sheets in TeXShop?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 6 05:41:43 CET 2014

On Mar 5, 2014, at 6:51 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2014, at 8:32 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I write essentially three different kinds of LaTeX---for text. for ancillaries, and for the code to manage the ancillaries---and I have different stylesheets for each kind.
>>
>> I was wondering if there could similarly, somehow, be different TeXShop macrosheets as I end up never using more than about one third of my (many) macros---which third depending on the kind of LaTeX I am writing.
>>
>> Not too hopeful regards (inasmuch as I am running TeXShop 2.47 under 10.5.8 on a PPC.)
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> Glad you're not too hopeful! :-) But not because you're running 2.47 since that hasn't changed. There is only one file that holds all macros so you can't partition it and easily switch; especially from within TeXShop.
>
> Good Luck,

There may be something you can do along these lines. TeXShop stores macros in plist files kept in ~/Library/TeXShop/Macros under one of three names: Macros_LaTeX.plist, Macros_Context.plist, Macros_TeX.plist. The macros menu it displays seems to depend on the second menu from the left in the window containing your source, but that choice can be overridden at processing time by a

% !TEX TS-program =

line in your file. Unfortunately, TeXShop does not store your choice of the menu entry second from the left, which makes for more manual work. But, if you accept that, you can arrange for a macro list for "ancillaries" (as ConTeXt) and for "code" (as TeX), reserving "text" as LaTeX.

Michael