[OS X TeX] TeX capacity exceeded?

Walschap, Gerard gerard at ou.edu
Tue Jul 15 23:47:11 CEST 2014

I have a brand new machine running OS 10.9.4 and TeXShop 3.36.2. I tested the installation by typesetting a simple document, and everything seemed to work. When I try to typeset a book I’m writing however, it gets stuck on chapter 2. The strange thing is that I haven’t touched chapter 2 in months. Here’s the relevant (I think) part of the console log:

./Chapter2.tex:1184: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=5000000].
\rlap #1->\hb at xt@ \z@ {#1\hss }

l.1184 ... can be found for example in \cite{HS74}
                                                  . The relation between int...

./Chapter2.tex:1184:  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on diffgeom.log.
Latexmk: Index file 'diffgeom.idx' was written
Latexmk: Reference `Ex:detIsom' on page 83 undefined
Latexmk: Summary of warnings:
  Latex failed to resolve 1 reference(s)
Collected error summary (may duplicate other messages):
  pdflatex: Command for 'pdflatex' gave return code 256
Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing,
 unless error was exceeding maximum runs of latex/pdflatex.
Latexmk: Errors, so I did not complete making targets

Any suggestions? Thanks,

-Gerard