[OS X TeX] Disabling URW fonts

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 22 19:23:10 CET 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 7:21 AM, Dennis Kletzing <dkletzing at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Herb:
>
> Yes, I have Adobe Times type 1 fonts installed. If I remember, in one of the earlier version of TeXShop if said something like
>
> \newfont{\mytimesitalic}{ptmri8r at10pt}
>
> I actually got the Adobe Times-Italic ptmri font. But noiw, if you check, this same command will give the urn replacement. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to disable this replacement.
> --
> Dennis
>

> On Jan 22, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 22, 2014, at 9:00 AM, Dennis Kletzing <dkletzing at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All:
>>>
>>> I’m running TeXShop 3.26 with OS 10.9.1 and noticed that the urw fonts are being used as replacements for the 35 core postscript fonts (times, courier, etc). Is it possible to run a command from the Terminal that will disable these fonts and replace them with the original Adobe fonts (times ptm, etc)? Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Dennis Kletzing
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Do you actually HAVE the type1 Adobe Fonts? If so, do you actually have them installed in your TeX Distribution? Unless you are using (lua/xe)(la)tex you can't just use System Fonts.

There's a setting in updmap.cfg that controls the sources for those fonts. By default, TeXLive sets the option LW35 to URWkb (ie, URW fonts with Karl Berry style names, like uhvbo8ac.pfb, in the case of URW Helvetica.) To set them to Adobe names, you can use ADOBE for the vendor names or ADOBEkb for Berry style names. To make the change to ADOBE with vendor names, like hvnbo___.pfb, enter in a Terminal window one of the following, as appropriate:

sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption LW35 ADOBE

If you have map files in your home folder, you'll run

updmap --setoption LW35 ADOBE

Michael