[OS X TeX] A tikzpic problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 15 14:40:18 CET 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 7:59 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Okay, as suggested by Luis Sequeira, I’ve attached a source file <AxioCalcRootCopy.tex> which when typeset here produces a Preview page showing NO errors. Alignment is perfect even when examined with Preview’s magnifying lens. On printing, misalignment of the two horizontal segments and red dot at (0,0) are clear. The example attached is simpler that the code above, but reveals just as well my complaint when printed here on an HP color Laserjet 2605dn.
>
> Could it be that the laser jet’s settings are off? I don’t think so because when a graphic, created by Inkscape as a .pdf file, is printed, there are no misalignments that I can see on print. Mind you, I’m not convinced the comparison is relevant because the Inkscape graphic is not similar in terms of points, segments, . . .
>
> I’ve checked a few things that I 'imagined’ might interfere:
>
> (1) David Carlisle’s {showkeys} is not the culprit when employed as:
> 	\usepackage[nocite]{showkeys}
>
> (2) The fact that my example is embedded in a \begin{table}. . . \end{table} structure does not cause the misprint. Removing the table environment does not remove the misalignment.
>
> In the comments in <AxioCalcRootCopy.tex>, it is stated which parts of my preamble have NOT been included, since without them the errors on printout remain.
>

>> PS: Assuming you have a reasonably recent TeX Live there is no need to use the epstopdf package; it's already included by the graphicx package. Not only htat you also need not use the -shell-escape flag since grapohicx will use a restricted (i.e., safe) version of epstopdf automatically.
>
> Thanks for that information. I’ve commented out the epstopdf package and that does not seem to change anything.
>
> My version of TeX Live Utility is 1.17.
>
> Thank you for helping people with problems from hither to yon.
>
> don green dragon
> fergdc at shaw.ca

Howdy,

I just compiled the document and it not only looks fine on screen but also as printed on my Brother HL-5250DN Monochrome Laser Printer (using the Postscript Clone Driver) and a HP Officejet 6500 Color Inkjet Printer (using the HP Driver). I'd suspect that there is a problem with the Driver for your Printer; have you tried to print on another Printer?

Doesn't that Printer have an option to use a Postscript Driver? Try to set up the Printer to use Postscript and your life will be happier in the long run.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)