[OS X TeX] Copying directories

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 10 17:41:16 CET 2014

On 10/01/14 16:21, André Bellaïche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I want to add a new font to my TeX system. The font may be Cabin and the system may be TeXLIve 2010 (I prefer not to update it for the moment).
>
> The README says: “To install this package on a TDS-compliant TeX system unzip the file
> tex-archive/install/fonts/cabin.tds.zip at the root of an appropriate
> texmf tree, likely a personal or local tree.”
>
> TeXLive on a Mac doesn't seem to be TDS-compliant (whatever this may means), since when I download the zip fie it unzips by itself into a Mac directory called “cabin”. So I am left with the task of copying a tree into a tree.
>
> The first tree is
>
> cabin
> ---- doc
> ---- latex
> ---- map
> ---- opentype
> ---- type1
> ---- files such as README and samples

Where did you get this cabin.tds.zip from? The one I see in
https://http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/install/fonts does not have this
directory structure. If you unzip it with the unzip command, it produces
directories

fonts/type1/impallari/cabin/
fonts/tfm/impallari/cabin/
fonts/vf/impallari/cabin/
tex/latex/cabin/
doc/fonts/cabin/

all very TDS compliant. The eclosing "cabin" directory is probably
produced by your unzipping method, although when I just double-clicked
on the zip file, I got a folder "cabin.tds" which has 3 subdirectories
fonts, tex and doc, as shown above.

> Not quite the same thing. People suggest that I use  cp -R  in the Terminal. But a quick look at  man cp  suggest that  cp -R would hardly do the job of putting everything in the right place (that is directories with the same name) in the sublevels of the second tree.
>
> Does somebody know a solution? (I could do it by hand, but this not the last time I install a new font in TeXLive.)

For copying a tree into another partially identical, I recommend rsync:

  rsync -auv .../cabin/ .../texmf-local/ --dry-run

The --dry-run flag makes it show what it will do, without doing it.
Remove it for the actual execution.

--
Martin