[OS X TeX] ``bruising'' (but not ``cutting'') edge TeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 26 00:13:04 CET 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 3:18 PM, J. McKenzie Alexander <jalex at lse.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As someone who hasn’t kept up with the current state of TeX/LaTeX development, I would really appreciate some tips concerning the “mostly stable” production frontier, from a casual end-user perspective. Simply because I would like to know what the current state of art is. With TeX/LaTeX, it’s a bit hard to gauge, if you are on the outside.
>
> As a point of reference: how many people are using LuaTeX or LuaLaTeX? Are the LaTeX3 files anywhere near a point where the rest of us should pay attention to them when writing macros (i.e., is it worth the pain of learning a new system)? And should I consider learning ConTeXt rather than LaTeX? (Is there any point?)
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Jason

Howdy,

Let's see... sounds like you've used (La)TeX before but we have no idea how long ago.

I play with lua(la)tex but wouldn't use it for any production environment. I tend to use pdflatex most of the time with some use xelatex when I want to use System Fonts (those nice otf/ttf/ttc Fonts). As far as graphics are concerned pdflatex will do automatic eps->pdf conversion on the fly without the need using -shell-escape when using the graphicx package. While LaTeX3 isn't complete there are several experimental packages that are used by multiple regularly used packages under LaTeX2e.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)