[OS X TeX] Wish for TeXShop : attach custom icon to a given file

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 16:56:34 CET 2014

On Feb 23, 2014, at 10:27 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2014, at 9:15 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Feb 23, 2014, at 9:42 AM, seroul wrote:
>>
>>> LaTeX uses a lot of files.
>>>
>>> Some of them are important (.tex, .sty, .cls, etc.) and others are
>>> discardable (.aux, etc.).
>>>
>>> It would be more easier to discriminate visually these files
>>> if TeXShop has the possibility to attach an given icon to a
>>> given file when saving it.
>>
>> As for me, I would very much like them to be distinguished by the
>> absence of the Typeset button. (Yes, it is not fatal accidentally
>> to hit the Typeset button on these files but, when distracted, it
>> can be ... disorienting.)
>>
>> In fact, at the risk of "bloating" TeXShop, it would be very nice
>> to be able to chose between a Typeset button and a Save button on
>> any given .tex file. (Trying to typeset one of the hundreds of
>> files in my "QuestionBase" on its own is of course not fatal but,
>> when distracted, it can be ... disorienting.)
>>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> Are you, for example, talking about editing a .sty file and pressing
> Typeset button on the Toolbar by mistake? Here's a simple
> solution... remove the Typeset button from the Toolbar! Get into the
> habit of using keyboard shortcut for typesetting the document ;e.g.,
> Cmd-T for general typesetting set by the TS-program line, Shift-Cmd-
> L to for LaTeX typesetting. :-) Right-Click (Ctl-Click) on an empty
> area in the Toolbar, choose Customize Toolbar…, drag the Typeset
> button off the Toolbar and Save.

(1) I just remembered that I am out of suggesting anything of the sort
(I am using TeXShop 2.47 and yes, thank you everybody, my Power PC is
still working fine under 10.5.8  ;-)) )

(2) These days I don't work much on my many .sty files. They are now
truly robust. But, as I said, the (very, very many) files that I work
on and that do not typeset are the files in my so-called
"QuestionBase" which are assembled and typeset by probsoln.

(3) Thanks for reminding me that I can edit the toolbar and remove the
Typeset button. (I had truly completely forgotten and suffered in
silence. At least until now and I am glad I yelled.)

(4) Still, it would be awfully nice if I could put a Save button
instead. (While there are indeed files I "automatically" save with
command-shift-L, with sometimes up to six or eight files spread on two
screens, it is a lot more economical to continue using the mouse,
particularly when opening a file and copy-pasting from another file
that needs to be opened and then closed, etc.)

Grateful regards
--schremmer