[OS X TeX] Generic icon for .tex files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 5 14:39:29 CET 2014

On Feb 5, 2014, at 6:50 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:

> After a clean install of Mavericks + mactex, I get generic icons for latex files. I choose TeXShop as the default app for latex files and Change All in the Info window, but as soon as I hit return it revers to TeX.midimporter. My latex files do open in TS by default but their icon is generic. Also, under Open With I see two TeXShop applications.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Typically a problem with the LaunchServices database.

I've been using Mavericks Cache Cleaner to rebuild that database, <http://www.northernsoftworks.com/maverickscachecleaner.html>, but it does cost money. I go to the Cache Cleaning tab and do a Light Cleaning but check all the Check Boxes. Then it should reboot. That usually works for me.

You might also try the latest version of Onyx, <http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php>, which is donation-ware.

You can also try to do a Safe Boot by holding the shift Key down while booting until the login screen shows up; the system cleans up multiple databases when this happens (that's why it takes a while to boot). Once that is done you can restart and it will boot normally.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)