[OS X TeX] Bibliography management

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sun Dec 28 23:23:51 CET 2014

> On 28.12.2014, at 22:58, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 28/12/2014 21:47, Simon Spiegel wrote:

>>> CSL isn't quite what I had in mind. It's not really the sort of thing
>>> one could imagine dropping in to a preamble to customise something in
>>> the way many people need to ('I need the style of X except that ...').
>>> However, like I said, one for another list and needing some careful thought!
>>
>> Sorry for dragging this on, but I'm not really sure why you would need such a thing when full-fledged solutions already exist. Fact is bibliography styles quickly become quite complex; on the other hand, while both CSL and biblatex require some time to get a grip on, neither of them is wizardry. So I really don't see the point if yet another solution which will, especially if it can't match modern solutions and is LaTeX-only in the end. We already had plenty of those.
>>
>> Simon
>
> Most people's requirement to customise are quite simple, often one entry
> type and one minor change. Look for example at EndNote, which uses a
> simple 'human readable' format which might for example look a bit like
>
>  Title, Authors, [, Publisher], **Year**
>
> (It's a GUI, so not that easy to show here.) If all you need to do is
> something like 'I need to include the title for PhD theses' (a recent
> requirement for someone at work using EndNote) then an interface like
> this as a 'front end' form, if perhaps backed by a richer 'programmers'
> version, looks attractive.

(I know and hate Endnote with a vengeance. It's one of the worst pieces of software ever. Basically no update to the style editor in ten years, lots of bugs, and a yearly $99 bug fix. And when they're completely out of their wits, they start suing the competition).

I still don't see the point. One of the main advantages of any bibliographic solution is that you can re-use data and styles. Compared to this, I see the advantages of what you're thinking of as very small. Besides that, the simpler cases will are already by existing styles – be that classic BibTeX, biblatex or any other solution.

Apart from that, I think one of the main weaknesses BibTeX showed in the long run, is that it was focussed (for obvious reasons) on English-speaking (hard) sciences. Covering those is quite simple, but there are already solutions for this. As soon as you leave this area, these kind of simple styles just don't cover it anymore.

It's one of the patterns I've noticed over the years: Almost every time a new bibliographic solution comes out, it only can deal with English-speaking science in the beginning. After that the people behind it suddenly realize that the requirements in other fields are much more demanding and end up adding all kind of half-assed fixes to covert those.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch
http://www.utopia2016.ch

„Everybody needs money! That’s why they call it money!“ David Mamet