[OS X TeX] Command completion troubles

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 27 21:09:18 CEST 2014

On Aug 27, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> On 25Aug2014, at 3:45 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 25, 2014, at 2:27 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> The \_{} response still  does not appear, as desired
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> By the way... that never happens! The \_ command put an underscore in the final text and Key Bindings are smart enough that if you put the \ before typing the _ it will NOT add the { and }. That Key Binding is meant to be used in math mode so \(A and then typing _ gives \(A_{|} where | is the insertion point.
>> <<snip>>
>
> Unfortunately, you are quite right. I did not express what was intended with accuracy.  I should have said that currently when intending to enter $x_{n+1}$, for example, on entering
>
> $x_
>
> the additional {|} does not appear automatically and therefore I must manually add
>
> {n+1}$
>
> which is my preference. I’m reasonably sure, but not certain, that I eliminated the response
>
> $x_{|}
>
> by going into «Source -> Key Bindings -> Edit Key Bindings File…»  and `Remove’ing an entry. I concede that what I’ve just written may be nonsense, but somewhere, somehow, I eliminated the {|} response.
>
> Thank you for catching my blunder.
>
> don green dragon
> fergdc at shaw.ca

Howdy,

Assuming that you did remove the key binding to _ it is easy enough to restore it. First Open the Key Bindings Editor using the Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File… menu item. In the Input: box type _ and in the Output: box type _{#SEL##INS#}; then click on the + button to add that to the list; finally click on Save. The #SEL# will place the selection, if one exists, between the braces while the #INS# places the insertion point between the braces.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)