[OS X TeX] OS X TeX] How install & use genuine Adobe Times-Roman small caps fonts?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 16:33:57 CEST 2014

On 15 Aug 2014 19:07:24 -0700, Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2014, at 5:38 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (1) Is the ztmsc.map file you refer to the same as the ztm.map file you specified in an earlier post to this thread? That is, containing:
>>

>>   ptmrc8r Times-RomanSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <[8r.enc <ptmrc8a.pfb
>>   ptmbc8r Times-BoldSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <[8r.enc <ptmbc8a.pfb
>>
>> (2) After processing ptmr8a.afm and ptmbc8r.afm with ...
>>
>>   % !TEX TS-program = tex
>>   \input fontinst.sty
>>   \declareencoding{UNSPECIFIED}{8r}
>>   \needsfontinstversion{1.933}
>>
>>   \installfonts
>>   \transformfont{ptmr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmr8a}}}
>>   \transformfont{ptmrc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmrc8a}}}
>>   \transformfont{ptmb8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmb8a}}}
>>   \transformfont{ptmbc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{ptmbc8a}}}
>>   \installfamily{T1}{ztm}{}
>>   \installfont{ztmrc8t}
>>     {ptmrc8r,%
>>    ptmr8r,%
>>     newlatin}
>>    {t1}{T1}{ztm}{m}{sc}{}
>>   \installfont{ztmbc8t}
>>     {ptmbc8r,%
>>     ptmb8r,%
>>     newlatin}
>>    {t1}{T1}{ztm}{b}{sc}{}
>>   \endinstallfonts
>>
>>   \bye
>>
>> ... and running the generated .pl and .vpl through pltotf and vptovf, to what, if anything, do I rename the resulting .fd files -- or an other files -- before using them in conjunction with newtxext?
>>
>> (3) What specifies to use (Adobe) Times as the body text font? Or do I need to include a \rmdefault{ptm} command for that?
>>
>> (4) Does any of this help to use MathTime Pro 2 fonts for math to accompany Adobe Times for text, including Adobe Times-Roman small caps?  How?
>>

>> (Thank you for your continuing work and assistance on this. Without it I'd be even more lost than I am, since my ignorance of TeX font issues is boundless.)
>
> The correct name for tha map file is now ztmsc.map, not the one I posted earlier. You should not have to do anything with fontinst---everything is already in the package. The line
>
> \usepackage[adobsc]{newtxtext}
>
> loads newtxtext, bringing up the URW Times clones as text fonts, unless you've changed that changing the settings in updmap.cfg to specify Adobe Times ---see below. If you have those Adobe fonts, it's easier to leave them in their original names, eg, tir_____.pfb and  use
>
> sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption LW35 ADOBE
>
> or, if you keep font maps in your home texmf,
>
> updmap --setoption LW35 ADOBE
>

> With option adobesc, upright shapes of small caps will be rendered with your Adobe TimesSC.
>
> Michael

You say, "You should not have to do anything with fontinst...."  Now I'm confused. Don't I still need to use fontinst to create the .fd, .vpl, and .pl files for the actual Adobe Times-Roman Small Caps fonts, then use vptovf and pltoft to create the corresponding .vp and .tfm files (and move them into my local texmf tree)?

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334