[OS X TeX] MakeIndex and periods in file names

Uwe Schmock schmock at fam.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Apr 20 16:37:46 CEST 2014

>On Apr 17, 2014, at 5:13 PM, Uwe Schmock <schmock at fam.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
>>  Dear all,
>>
>>  the file name "Script2014.04.15.tex" works fine with TeXShop and
>>BibTeX, but calling MakeIndex generates the message
>>
>>  Input index file Script2014.04.15 not found.
>>  Usage: makeindex [-ilqrcgLT] [-s sty] [-o ind] [-t log] [-p num]
>>[idx0 idx1 ...]
>>
>  > on the console window. Of course, I can remove the periods in the
>file name, but maybe there is an expert around who can adjust
>MakeIndex to accept such a file name.
>  >
>>  Happy TeXing,
>>
>>  Uwe
>
>Howdy,
>
>Just to be sure, is there really a Script2014.04.15.idx file that
>was produced by the (pdf)latex run?
>
>Could you try to use texindy on the idx file:
>
>texindy -M lang/english/utf8 -o Script2014.04.15.ind Script2014.04.15.idx
>
>in Terminal (adjust the languish and encoding accordingly---ascii is
>a subset of utf8). I don't know if it will work but you can try it.
>
>Good Luck,
>
>Herb Schulz
>(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hi Herb,

the file Script2014.04.15.idx indeed exists and your texindy command
works in the terminal, but I get lots of warnings like this:

WARNING: unknown cross-reference-class `hyperindexformat'! (ignored)

Apparently texindy can't work with cross-references within the index
in the way MakeIndex can.

Happy Easter,

Uwe