[OS X TeX] Writing a book

Nestor E. Aguilera nestoreaguilera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 22:11:10 CEST 2014

On 14 Apr 2014, at 09:54, John B. Thoo wrote:

> [...]
> The only technical problem I haven't resolved at this point is in the TOC.  For some reason, when it lists Part III in the TOC, shows "IIIFoundations" instead of "III Foundations" (with a space).  Parts I and II show up correctly in the TOC as "I Numeration Systems" and "II Arithmetic Snapshots" (each with a space).  I would appreciate any help to fix this.
> [...]

It might be a problem with the "numwidth". You might want to take a look at the documentation of the "tocloft" package ("$ texdoc tocloft" in terminal), where the parameters of the layout for toc (lof, lot) are explained.

You could try with "\makeatletter \renewcommand etc" or use the package tocloft

If you don't mind that the text in the toc may not be aligned, you could simply try "\part{\hspace{1em}Foundations}" instead of "\part{Foundations}" in the source.

Hope it helps,

Nestor