[OS X TeX] TeXShop file icons not displaying properly

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 19 22:18:06 CEST 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:10 AM, Alan C. Bowen <bowen at IRCPS.org> wrote:

> I am not sure that my original message got through, so I am resending this. Please excuse any duplication.
>
> ………………
>
> On updating to Mac OS 10.8.5, the TeXShop file icons all indicated and opened TextWrangler. I was able to set the files so that they all open TeXSHop. But now the file icons are either generic or those for exec files.
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> Alan

Howdy,

Good old LaunchServices database... :-(

I use Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner, <http://www.northernsoftworks.com/mountainlioncachecleaner.html>, set up as in the enclosed graphic and restart. Give the system a little bit of time to rebuild the database after the reboot and open TeXShop and create a dummy document and save it; it should have the correct icon.

You can also try to do a Safe Boot (Hold down the Shift Key when you start up the computer) until you get a screen with the progress bar. The login screen should say Safe Boot. Login, let the computer sit a bit to make sure all the databases are rebuild and the restart normally.

There have been a few times when I've had to do this more than once.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)