[OS X TeX] Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Sep 16 16:41:36 CEST 2013

Am 16.09.2013 um 16:17 schrieb Dennis Kletzing:

> I'm trying to change the way the .ps file is created. In the old days using Textures, the output window was a dvi file. I could print this window using my Printer A to create a .ps file, which I then passed through Adobe Distiller with appropriate job options to get the final pdf.

If you want to create DVI output you just need to use "latex" (or "tex") instead of "pdflatex" (or "pdftex"). But there aren't so many use cases for DVI – we're now in the third millennium of the so-called christian calculation of times. The PDF created by "pdflatex" (or "pdftex") directly today is quite excellent. It has options to include or exclude fonts etc.

In the old days you could use /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/convert to convert a PS file to PDF using the printer's PPD file, the way Mac OS X did print by pressing ⌘P. This old programme is now /usr/sbin/cupsfilter.

Can you describe why you need the complicated way of TeX -> DVI -> PS -> PDF -> PDF?

--
Greetings

  Pete

A census taker is a man who goes from house to house increasing the population.