[OS X TeX] TeXstudio vs TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 29 14:29:27 CET 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 6:08 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 29.10.2013 um 11:59 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> But how about TeXstudio vs TeXShop?
>
> IMO TeXstudio and TeXmaker are too complicated, too many menus, too many pictures. I might spend more years in their menus than writing text.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Howdy,

Have to agree. Have you ever seen that picture of MS Word with all its menus active so there is no room to see the text you enter? TeXmaker (and, I assume TeXstudio which branched off from TeXmaker) looks like that to me. I much prefer a spare menu with features I can access via the keyboard.

I guess I also don't like editors that fold because I find it very disturbing to have things expand and contract as the cursor passed through them. If automatic-(un)folding can be turned off then I'm sure I'd miss reading some text with typos, etc., that is folded out of the way.

If it sounds like I'd suggest emacs I have no problem with that editor. I find TeXShop MUCH easier to configure to my taste with just enough mouse interaction for my use.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)