[OS X TeX] Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Nov 21 04:46:25 CET 2013

Hi All,

This may be a bit off topic, but I don't know where else to go. I've tried two sources and have no useful info from either.

Recently I downloaded a program called MetaMath. In order to install this program on my Mac it is necessary to use the Terminal program.

After the download, the relevant files are unzipped and placed, as directed, in a directory

	/users/doncarvel/Applications/MetaMath/

CDing to the above, I gave the required compile command

doncarvel:~/applications/metamath$ gcc *.c -o metamath
-bash: gcc: command not found

The file 'metmath.c' is indeed located in the directory /users/doncarvel/Applications/MetaMath/ but no gcc to be found. It is not in /usr/bin/ if that is where it should be.

So I've been asking around as to how I get my hands on the gcc (GNU C compiler!!) and so far no answers. I checked with the creator of MetaMath, Norman Megill, and he is not familiar with OS X. He gave the URL

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-apple-mac-os-x-install-gcc-compiler/

from which I could see that gcc appears to be the compiler that comes with XCode. However, to use XCode one must have at least OS X 10.8.x and I'm still with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

In 10.6.8 it appears that the closest thing to XCode is the application 'X11.app' in /Applications/Utilities but I don't know how to use it.

There must be a compiler that came with Snow Leopard but I may NOT have downloaded it. I think there was a "Developer's Package" that was available when I first installed Snow Leopard but I doubt that it was installed.

Any advice?

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca