[OS X TeX] Unable to use the fontspec package with lualatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 19 16:38:11 CET 2013

On Nov 19, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Luis Sequeira <lfsequeira at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a document that was typeset with lualatex last year and worked fine.
> Now (with mactex 2013), I cannot typeset unless I comment out the fontspec package. With \usepackage{fontspec} the typeset stalls for a few minutes (Activity Monitor shows lualatex at nearly 100% processor use) and then I get a crash (segmentation fault) of lualatex.
>
> I suspected an old version of some package might be used from my personal tree, but the log does not show any.
> Even the minimal example below shows the problem on my mac. For now, since I don't really need lualatex in this case, I can easily typeset, but I also had some documents using actual lua code, and these will be a problem.
> Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
>
> (to make matters worse for troubleshooting purposes, I cannot easily revert to texlive 2012, which is installed, since the prefpane does not work currently on Mavericks :-( )
>
> Luis Sequeira
>

> Here is the very minimal example
>
> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> % !TEX TS-program = lualatex
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>
> \usepackage{fontspec} %if this line is commented out, no problem; like this, it crashes
>
> \begin{document}
> Hello!
>

> \end{document}

Howdy,

I'm NOT seeing that problem here!

First make sure you've updated your TL2013 using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr directly).

Second try to remove any ~/Library/texlive/2013/texmf-var folder to your Desktop. Then run

luatools --generate

which will create a new texmf-var folder and contents which includes a font database. (At least that is what I remember --- others may know the incantation better.)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)