[OS X TeX] Malayalam with xelatex

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:49:16 CET 2013

On 13/11/2013 01:00, NMPOST7 wrote:
> On 13/11/2013 00:48, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> What language is mal written in? Is it something like Perl or is it compiled (e.g., written in C)?
>
> I think it is written in c. I do not have it on my mac
> Here is the link
>
> http://malayalam.sarovar.org/install.html
>
>> Have you looked into using xelatex for your needs?
> I did try it once but got a very poor result due to the ligatures and misplaced
> vowels. Probably I need to try again. It has been a long time. I shall run a
> search and see how the coding is. Probably things have changed and I can do it
> using xelatex and thus be rid of using a preprocessor.
> If I can get to starting point I can slog forward and find my working space :)

I just tried and have good news but not so good one as well.
The files are attached. Engine used was xelatex

When the used font is Rachana: the digits do not get rendered
When the used font is AnjaliOldLipi

\setmainfont[Script=Malayalam,Mapping=tex-text,,HyphenChar="00]{AnjaliOldLipi}

The half letters (seen in the attached pdf) are not rendered.
The same happens when I use Meera as the font.
Rachana is my favourite as it uses the old script and has a more aesthetic
appearance.

The same problem exists with the page numbering :(

Best regards
suren