[OS X TeX] Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 00:41:37 CET 2013

On 13/11/2013 00:09, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Many years ago, when I was using a PDP-10 running BSD Unix, I use emacs with great delight via a Terminal. Gave up emacs
(well, I did use Alpha for a while) once OS X came out and switched to TeXShop
which has been my Editor/Front End of choice ever since.
Thank you, Herb,

Had a look. Well, my require is small and I think I can manage with the simple
VIM, without having one more full fledged editing system installed. But it does
look interesting. The vim I have is already tuned for good editing (my
requirement is not so highly technical). when I do not use VIM I can always
swtich to TexShop.

The only other requirement I have is for documentation involving my mother
tongue, Malayalam. The topic has come up for discussion here twice with long
threads.

With my limited technical knowledge I could not get things to work on Mac.
The package I use (or still use on my Ubuntu) is the one from Sarovar. This one
uses a preprocessor (mal). The source file is saved as *.mm and after writing
it, it is run through "mal" (the pre-processor) to generate a LaTeX file which
is then interpreted by latex. I could not get this to work on mac due to two
reasons:

1. running the preprocessor mal
2. the mac has serious problems with ligatures and vowels (misplaced vowels)

So I process Malayalam documents on my Ubuntu laptop and all the others on my Mac

BR
suren