[OS X TeX] New? Preference in Mavericks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 12 15:15:50 CET 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 6:41 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Warning in case someone asks:
>>>
>>> Yesterday a TeXShop user complained that TeXShop on
>>> Mavericks converts -- into a dash. Today I got a similar
>>> complaint about double quotes.
>>>
>>> It turns out that on Mavericks,
>>>
>>> 	System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab
>>>
>>> leads to a preference item I had not seen before, "Use smart
>>> quotes and dashes". Turning this off cured the problem.
>>>
>>> Dick Koch
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Interestingly, that item is checked on my system but I'm not seeing the automatic conversion. I thought it might be because I use a monospace font but changing to Times didn't change things at all.
>>
>> Wait... you can change that for an individual applications by (un)checking Smart Quotes and/or Smart Dashes under Edit->Substitutions. I've got them unchecked there.
>>

> Just a small clarification. With all items in TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions unchecked, you don't get conversions within TeXShop's main text editor. However, the behavior in the Macro Editor seems to ignore TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions settings and follows the System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab settings instead. Thanks to Dick for tracking this down.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

i was in a bit of a panic after reading this note. First I immediately unchecked the option in System Preferences->Keyboard->Text. Then I went into the Macro Editor and took a look at the Applescript macros I use. Comments, i.e., with a leading --,and double quotes were not changed.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)