[OS X TeX] Texshop and the "modern document model"

Warren Nagourney wna at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 7 05:56:08 CET 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2013, at 6:53 PM, Warren Nagourney <wnagourney at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With some trepidation, I switched from TeXShop 2.47 to the newest version (also driven by the absence of support for 2.47 in Mavericks).  I didn’t particularly like or feel comfortable with the “new document model” — I didn’t want spurious (accidental) changes to the source to be saved in a ~500 page book I am working on.
>>
>> I noticed that the program relies on “autosave” to save source files and no longer saves files after typesetting. The problem with this is that it removes one indication of the presence of spurious inputs (seeing the “edited” state but knowing that I inputted nothing since the last typeset). Would it be possible to restore the “save source files after typesetting” option?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Warren Nagourney
>
> Howdy,
>
> I've not experienced problems with ``autosave'' and I think you mean the file is saved BEFORE typesetting rather than after typesetting.
>
> One thing that I did do was to add/change some keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences->Keyboard->App Shortcuts. When you add a shortcut you choose the app, enter the Menu item name (exactly as given---e.g., use Opt-; to get …) and then the shortcut you want. I changed `Save As…' to Shft-Cmd-S, `Duplicate' to Opt-Shft-Cmd-S and added `New from Stationery' as Opt-Cmd-N. In System Preferences->General I also have `Close windows when closing applications' checked and `Ask to keep changes when closing documents' un-checked --- you get used to it very quickly.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Yes, you are right: I did mean that the save took place before typesetting. Thanks for the correction.

I think my problems with autosave are due to my long term (29 year!) habit of manually saving files. The “modern” document model is actually much more powerful, but takes a little getting used to.

Warren N