[OS X TeX] Mavericks

roberto avanzi roberto.avanzi at online.de
Wed Nov 6 11:06:46 CET 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 5:07 , Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It might be my imagination, but typesetting seems, subjectively, a little slower after installing Mavericks. I don’t have stop-watch times from pre-Mavericks, so I can’t say for sure. It doesn’t matter if I do it from TeXShop or from BBEdit/Skim/integration-scripts.

Cannot say.  For me it is similar - typesetting has always been a bit slowish on the mac, for some weird reason. TeX is faster in a Windows 7 virtual machine.

My problem with Mavericks is that TeXShop is nearly unusable. It crashes 30% of the times I open an external file. I use a versioning application called Perforce (I was able to switch our internal reporting from Word to LaTeX, created some ad hoc macros for our usage, and now we are actually saving time), and if I check out a file from the repository and open it, I can expect TeXShop to crash. :/

> I also have an odd issue with the finder being slow when I first access it, giving me the spinning wheel-thing before displaying directories. After that first access, it works normally until the next shut-down/power-up cycle.

Mavericks is caching a lot. And it priorities memory at several levels, compressing it first, and then paging it out (almost never though).  And I guess that the LLVM is at work with several Apple provided apps to optimise and relink as you go, until this stabilizes.

I find that the DNS implementation in Mavericks is cr*p. Sometimes I have to reboot just to get internet working properly again.

 Roberto