[OS X TeX] TLU on MacTeX 2013

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 10 00:25:47 CEST 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Thomas Bohn <thbohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/5/9 Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>:
>> What do you mean by ``TeX Live system preferences''? There are some things that you can do through TeX Live Utility; e.g., set the default paper size or set the number of saved backups when updating.
>
> I mean the TeX Distributiion preference pane, where you can chose
> which distribution is being used. Which is a cool feature indeed. But
> I think it could be much better placed in the TeX Live Utilities.
>
> Thomas

Howdy,

I don't think that's a good idea. TeX Live Utility is meant as a front end for tlmgr which is used for updating and working with a particular TeX Live Distribution at a time rather than for more general MacTeX distribution changing, etc. Note that everything that TeX Live Utility can do is done via tlmgr.

Being able to change active TeX distribution via the TeX Distribution Preference Pane is purely a MacTeX feature and NOT part of TeX Live.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)