[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2012 installs Ghostscript binaries into /usr/local/bin?

Misty De Meo mistydemeo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 19:59:30 CET 2013

Hi,

A couple users I've spoken to have told me that the MacTeX installer
placed some Ghostscript binaries into /usr/local/bin, along with a
/usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.7.6 directory. I was wondering if this is
intentional.

Older versions of MacTeX have kept all of its binaries in
/usr/local/texlive/etc, along with links in /usr/texbin. MacTex 2012
still installs all of its binaries there (including Ghostscript), so
I'm not sure why extra copies would be installed elsewhere. (These
extras aren't links, so two copies of Ghostscript and ImageMagick are
present.) Having them there makes it harder for MacTeX to live
alongside the user's own installations of things into /usr/local, or
package managers like Homebrew that live there.

I use the BasicTeX package, which comes with some Ghostscript
binaries, but they weren't installed into /usr/local/bin. Looks like
only the full installer is affected.

Thanks,
Misty