[OS X TeX] Two missing characters

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Mar 7 04:28:48 CET 2013

Hello Ettore,

On 28Jan2013, at 3:53 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:45:06PM -0700, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>> Hello Ettore,
>>

>> On 21Jan2013, at 5:27 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:
>>
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> \textquotesingle Single quotes\textquotesingle
>>>
>>> \textquotedbl Double quotes\textquotedbl
>>> \end{document}
>
>> Well that works nicely, your example, that is!  Added
>> \usepackage{textcomp} to my standard template and it works there too,
>> but with a quibble which I give below.
>

>> I noted a small difference. Your example uses \documentclass{article}
>> whereas in my basic template I use \documentclass{book}. So, in your
>> example, \documentclass{article} was changed to \documentclass{book},
>> and, on typesetting, I could not 'see' any difference between the
>> 'article' version and the 'book' version.
>>

>> However, with my standard template, which uses \documentclass{book},
>> there was a small but easily noticed difference. The single quotes guy
>> was fine, same as with your examples, but the double quotes character
>> was too squashed; i.e., the two single quotes were jammed too closely
>> together. On printout, the same difference showed up using my basic
>> template. However, the versions produced with my template will be just
>> fine!
>
> I don't know, but it may be font-related. Are you using any package to set the main font in your
> template? I'm getting kind of squashed double quotes if I add  to my example,
> without changing anything else
>
> --Ettore.

Well, I had included \usepackage{lmodern} in my preamble. On commenting it out, the "double quote" guy was NOT squashed! So that seems to be the source of the squashing. Not exactly sure why I had included \usepackage{lmodern} in the first place. That was so long ago that I cannot recall. Must check to see if the disappearance of \usepackage{lmodern} causes problems in the documents.

Thanks for the information, sorry for the late reply.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca