[OS X TeX] Merging fonts in PDF files produces with XeTeX/pdfTex/LuaTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jul 28 17:13:37 CEST 2013

Am 28.07.2013 um 16:27 schrieb roberto avanzi:

> [2] how to merge the fonts (under the possibly dangerous assumption that two fonts with the same name are actually the same font, which could be wrong if one included a PDF file from a different machine, say with an older/newer version of the same font).

A font is not the same, even when it has the same name. None of the fonts that need embedding is embedded completely, only the subset of the characters used is. So you would need to combine the manifold of subsets to one bigger subset. Next item is the encoding used. When "Identity-H" is used as encoding, then actually no encoding or the Unicode encoding is used, that was is recorded in the CMAP – for horizontal typesetting (there is also vertical typesetting).

I think a "distiller" does the job of reorganising this disparate patches.

By not using exotic fonts but Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol, Zapf Dingbats you can save some storage – none of these fonts will get embedded. Or, if look is important for you, why not create a PDF from a (La)TeX source file with a mixture of text and PGF/TiKZ images?

--
Greetings

  Pete
                      ~  o